Autumn is definitely here ! Weather got cooler, mushrooms are prolific.
It's also black truffle season coming, enjoy :)
Last night meal, first try of a "fish dish" from Vovoï's cookbook.
I wanted something light, I had to make a few changes to the recipe, but it was still delicious.
In this recipe, you have to "poach" the fish, there is two whole pages in Vovoï's cookbook about this technique, that I've resumed for you at the end of that post.
According to me, it was easy enough and pretty quick
15 minutes to prepare, 45 minutes to cook
You will need :
- 2 par personne -
- there wasn't any fresh ones -
- there wasn't any either :( -
a half pound of mushrooms for 2 person
a good white wine
- I took a burgandy Chablis -
- I used a dry mix of parsley + other herbs, like cilantro -
1 slice of old bread for 2 person
- 1 slice of regular white bread is ok -
1 glass of hot milk
- put the crumb of the bread in it -
1 tsbp of butter
- I replaced it with 1tbsp of heavy whipped cream -
Turn on the oven at 340°F
- my translation of "medium" -
Start by cooking half of the mushrooms with the butter in a pan, on medium fire
- or the cream and the dry herbs -
Chop the parsley with the truffles and those mushrooms
Add the bread crumb that was in the milk
- I added a hint of grated parmesan to that mix -
Display your sole filets on you chopping board and spread the stuffing you've made on them
- put less of it on one of the end to roll them easily -
If you have some, use a string to keep them rolled.
- I have everything... but a regular string... -
If you don't have any, no big deal, it works without !
They will slightly open during the cooking and it will be harder to serve them, that's all
Put them in a dish, in which you put the rest of your mushrooms and truffles,
some salt and pepper and pour white wine at 1/4 of the filet, finish with the same amount of water
Your filet are half under liquid
Put it in the oven for 45 minutes
Serve with pastas and a glass of white wine
- I didn't have the right pastas, It goes well with rice, greens.... suggestions :) -
- Even watching Fringe didn't disturb us from our meal ! -
Filet cooking has to be made at short boiling/broth "court-bouillon"with no boiling,
that's the caracteristic of poaching.
If it boils, filets will twist and distort.
The best way to cook them is to poach thm with butter only, with a few drops of lemon juice
- but that's too much butter -
So we use butter OR wine, diluted in water
For 4 filets of 0.8 oz each,
Use 0.8oz of butter and 3 tbsp of water
Or 2tbsp of water for 1 tbsp of white wine
When the dish is in the oven, check on boiling signs, as soon as it begins,
lower down the temperature to keep that short boiling and moderate the cooking